Welcome to Harlan Middle School--Home of the Harlan Green Dragons! Harlan Middle School is home to high achievers both academically and athletically. Our mission is to provide educational opportunities that help each student reach his/her potential and become life long learners.
- We believe that education is the future of our community.
- We believe that the family and community must be involved in a child's education in order to achieve success.
- We believe learning is the right of every child in our school and that children must be active participants in their education.
- We believe children should be supported and loved as they develop.
- We believe that schools should have high expectations and set high academic, moral and behavioral standards.
Harlan Middle School follows the Guidelines for Responsive Designs for Middle Schools which states:
1. Social learning is as important to success as academic learning.
2. We learn best by constructing our own understanding through exploration, discovery, practicing, and applying what we have learned, both socially and academically.
3. The greatest cognitive growth occurs through social interactions within a supportive community.
4. There is a set of personal/social skills that students need to learn and practice in order to be successful socially and academically:
Cooperation, Assertion, Responsibility, Empathy, Self-Control
5. Knowing the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual needs of the students we teach is as important as knowing the content we teach.
6. Trust among adults is a fundamental necessity for academic and social success in a learning community.
Middle school is a time of exploration. Although we offer the core classes of language arts, math, science, and social studies, we also offer new classes to our students entering middle school for the first time. Students have the opportunity to join beginning band, intermediate band, or high school band, Middle School Choir, Boys Choir, drama, and continue in gifted classes.
We have many years of tradition and excellence at Harlan Middle School. Supportive administrators, teachers, parents, and community members make our school a wonderful place to thrive academically, athletically, and socially.