(Harlan, Ky) The Harlan Independent Board of Education recently approved the 2022-2023 School Calendar as recommended by the calendar committee.
The calendar committee is made up of parents, community members, and school/district staff as outlined in Kentucky Revised Statute: KRS 158.070.
Per KRS, the superintendent must recommend for approval of the local board a calendar committee, following the committee makeup that is listed in new Section (1) (d).
- One (1) school district principal;
- One (1) school district office administrator other than the superintendent;
- One (1) member of the local board of education;
- Two (2) parents of students attending a school in the district;
- One (1) school district elementary school teacher;
- One (1) school district middle or high school teacher;
- Two (2) school district classified employees; and
- Two (2) community members from the local chamber of commerce, business community, or tourism commission;
After a review of the instructional needs of the school, the calendar committee constructs an instructional calendarto best fit the educational needs of the school community.
The approved 2022-2023 school calendar is similar to the calendars from previous years and allows for a Fall Break, Spring Break and an opening day for students the second week in August of 2022.
Parents are encouraged to download the Harlan Independent App for their mobile device to stay up to date and informed with all news and events from across the district. The Harlan Independent App will give you access to all calendar events, contact information for staff, and allows for push notifications to be sent to your phone or device tailored for your school.
If you have any questions regarding the 2022-2023 school calendar, please contact Mrs. Emily Clem at 606-573-8700 option 6 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.